Monday, April 16, 2012

Take a step back

It's hard not to focus on the end game in this journey. Every time I step on the scale I get super excited to see a lower number. However I go into the "Now I have X lbs to lose"! It's motivating and exciting but I think I need to take a step back and look at how much I have accomplished and remember that this isn't a race. Eventually I will slow down and I don't want to get discouraged and give up.

What am I saying? Of course i'm not going to give up. See? Still so much mental weight-loss to be had. The reason I am succeeding is because I am working on that along side my body.

Back to what I wanted to blog about!

I did some reflecting this weekend about my journey. I have been so focused on the end number and trying to get there that I haven't appreciated just how far I have come in a few short months. Since I started on January 3rd I have lost 29lbs. That is an average of 1.9lbs lost per week. Also the fact that I have done something for 15 weeks straight is to be commended. I have a MAJOR mental block when it comes to finishing things. I find every excuse in the book as to why I can't complete this, that, or the other. That is something I am working on and I am seeing those results now.

I am so amazed at how I am changing and how through me my family is changing. My husband has lost 15lbs and my daughter, who is 3, eats salad like it's going out of style. When I add up all these amazing changes I am blown away by it. I have been so blinded by the finish line that I forgot to enjoy the beauty of the journey. My eyes are open now and I'm seeing that I am far from alone now. My sweet family is right next to me in this and we are experiencing it together. I made a difference in their lives!

I am still focused on finishing this race so that I can move on to the next part of my journey. However I am determined to enjoy and soak up every second of my current journey. To use it as fuel to finish. To store up wonderful memories. To not miss a second of Lilly's explorations into this new world we're revealing to her.

I know I don't blog a ton but I will try to get better at it now that my blinders are off. I just want you to know that if you are on this journey with me that you should take your blinders off too. Enjoy all these new activities, moments, victories, lessons, etc. Live in the here and now and be thankful for all that you are accomplishing. I am so proud of myself and that alone is worth taking the time to take a step back.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful blog post and I'm so proud of your journey. Go Steve!!! And yay for Lilly and the salad! You are making lifelong changes for your family and that means more than ANY number you will ever see on the scale. Keep it going!!

    ReplyDelete