Monday, March 19, 2012

4 mile Shamrock run/walk

I decided at the start of the year that I would try something new each month until I found something that I was just crazy about. This month I decided to run a race. I did the 4 mile Shamrock Run/walk because I figured that 4 miles would be a long enough distance for my goal but a short enough distance to not have to train for it.

This March has been CRAZY nice! It honestly feels like we skipped March and April and went straight to May and June. Today? 82 degrees. Awesome! Anyhoo, since it's been so nice outside I have been trying to soak up every last morsel of sun and warmth. Steve and I went for a beautiful hike in Brown County. We pretty much killed it and went around 7 miles. However, I was wearing tennis shoes and we were doing a lot of hills, jumping over muddy puddles, and climbing over fallen trees and limbs. I should have worn hiking boots. I ended up hurting my foot. I have peroneal tendinitis. It's an inflammation in the peroneal tendons that run along the outside of your foot and up halfway along your calf. So yeah....it hurts. But isn't this a gorgeous site?




Anyhoo back to my post about the run. Lilly and I went shopping and found some great stuff for me to wear during the race. The one regret I have is buying a running skirt instead of using my capris. HOLY CHAFING BATMAN! That was yet another obstacle to my race. Totally my fault yet again. The weather was gorgeous and it was a sea of green people. I love the atmosphere of races. There is excitement, nerves, laughing, and a like-mindedness for health and fitness. It pumps me up! Plus it's always fun to see guys in tiny shorts doing stretches with crazy intensity. It's a shamrock race guys! Lighten up! So funny!


So hear I am at the start of the race. Fresh and ready to start! Thankfully Steve wasn't there to take pictures in the middle when I was cursing my foot and fat thighs!


And we're off! I know it looks leisurely but I was booking it! Those tiny-short guys were flying past me!


I'm finished! I was so proud of myself for pushing through the pain and finishing the race. It was so fun and I will definitely do another one. The atmosphere is just too fun not to.

I hope you guys try a race sometime. You can walk them and they don't have to be crazy huge distances. You'll be so proud of yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Becky,
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I have struggled my entire life with the emotional weight battle. Last year I was doing well and dropped 30 lbs - hitting that same low 190 range. And as I have done so many times before I quit when it got tough - when I got stuck. For 3 weeks I have put off starting the journey again. I woke up today saying this was the day. I was doing great and then decided I needed/deserved/wanted chocolate. Just as I was about to dive into a candy bar, I just stumbled across you blog (I really have no clue how I got here- I saw it on someone's side bar and liked your title :) I went back and read several pages of your posts. Your story is all too familiar. I am happy to say the candy bar is still in its wrapper and will stay that way. I just thought you should know that you inspired me. What you are doing matters. - Meggan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that Meggan you don't even know! My deepest desire is to be able to inspire others through my journey. To show people that although this may not be easy it is possible! I'm so proud of you! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete