Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Figuring out the best me

One size fits all.

What a crock!

Whenever I see those tags I immediately put it back. Those most certainly do NOT fit all. I'm beginning to discover that dieting and exercise is not a one size fits all package too. There are so many options out there, most of which proclaim that they work for everyone while putting small disclaimers saying results not typical, that it's obvious that they don't work for everyone.

I have been really watching my reactions to specific things that I have been doing. What foods make me happy AND feel good. What exercise is easy to get through AND gives me results. These are things that are completely specific to ME. My personality, my taste buds, my attention span, etc. These are not things that I am saying you should do or are the end all be all in dieting and fitness.

For a few weeks now I have been eating a vegetarian diet. Why? Well, I don't like the whole animal killing thing but that isn't the reason at all. The last few times that I ate chicken I felt like I had the flu if I could even choke it down. Hamburgers give me horrid stomach pain. I don't like the taste of pork except bacon and that would do bad things to my intestines as well. That got me to thinking why am I eating this stuff? I can absolutely get protein that my body needs from non-animal sources. I don't HAVE to follow a specific diet plan. I can mold one that fits my bodies needs.

I set out for Barnes and Noble and let Lilly play while I devoured several vegetarian books. There are SO many out there! Cookbooks with amazing meals! (Goat cheese and onion tart anyone?) Breakdowns of where to get protein, iron, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. What it means to be vegetarian. Did you know there are several types of vegetarians? I didn't! It was amazing to me just how ignorant I was about being a vegetarian. I had been so brainwashed to believe that I could only get the nutrients I needed from meat or dairy. Btw, I totally eat dairy still. I'm trying to switch to organic so it will be less toxic for our family.

My whole point is that you need to get out there and research! Find what works for you. What speaks to you. There is so much information out there to help you. The food pyramid is helpful but it's not the end all be all of nutrition. Make your own food pyramid. You have the basic knowledge of what you should be eating. Research and expand on it! Create something that fits you and will be easy to follow. Be the best you that you can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment